Monday, June 25, 2007

A few firsts

Last Wednesday after finishing the Mill Hill kit, I started on Opalescent Heart from the Sweetheart Tree, as in the June issue of The Gift of Stitching.

I did not have all the required DMC colours, so I subbed a couple of different shades of pink. I also subbed all the beads and sparklies for others I had in my stash and I stitched it on 32 ct hand dyed Jobelan 'Hot Potatoes' from Polstitches.

As soon as I'd seen the design, I'd imagined it finished as a pillow style pin cushion with tassels at the four corners. So that's what I've done!



I really love it - you won't believe the grin I had on my face when I finished it, I'm soooooo pleased! I was dashing around the house insisting my DH and DS admire it. (DH was his usual disinterested self, DS liked stroking the tassels against his cheek!) I even (briefly) considered rushing next door to show the neighbours!

There are several firsts here - my first Sweetheart Tree design, my first pillow style pin cushion, my first tassels (for some reason they've always intimidated me!).

And this post is also my first attempt at creating an image map (LOL) in html!


Wow - I'm doing well today, how am I going to last the week?

19 comments:

Paula said...

It looks great. Well done

Anonymous said...

You did a great job! It's really pretty :)

Carol said...

GORGEOUS!! I adore the color changes you made! I hope you will post this in Becky's Smalls blog... it is stunning! I am going back to look at it and drool again!!

msstitch01 said...

Fantastic piece Lesley and finished so beautifully. Congratulations.

BeckySC said...

It's gorgeous :) Congratulations!!

mainely stitching said...

Super! This is really gorgeous, and you should be doing some serious back-patting!! :D

Julie said...

A stunning piece, well done, love the piccies too, very clever

Susimac said...

I love your colour changes - No wonder you were rushing round to show everyone I know I would have done too, you have stitched and finished a beautiful piece I love your tassels.

Carla said...

beautiful!! I like the way yo finish it! just gorgeous!!

DaisyGirl said...

Lesley,
It looks great! I'm stitching that also, I'm struggling with that funky heart though, there seems to be a zillion stitches in that heart. I'm hoping that my local shop can show me tomorrow.
Donna

Rowyn said...

It's beautiful, and wonderfully finished. Congratulations.

Karoline said...

It's gorgeous Lesley, congratulations

Cheryl said...

Congrats on such a beautiful finish! It looks so great

Sue said...

Beautiful job, I would have been running around too ;)

Elizabeth MacGregor-Kirkcaldy said...

Oh, it's so lovely, Lesley!!! Beautiful stitching and finishing... and I love the colours! :-) And no wonder you were dashing about so... I would be tickled pink with such a glorious finish! :-)

It's lovely to *meet* you and I'm looking forward to getting to know you much better whilst stitching on the Heartfelt Friends RR... :-)

Can't wait to see more of your lovely finishes!!!

Sally said...

Wow, Lesley, that is so pretty!

Stitch Wizard said...

Oh that is just totally beautiful! I too have Gift of Stitching and loved that pattern! You have done a really splendid job of stitching it and it inspires me to do it sometime! How pretty! Debby :)

Anita said...

wow, well done. I love the colors and the tassel. It is so pretty.

Chelle said...

Gorgeous finish! Your color changes are wonderful.