Friday, June 22, 2007

2 down 1 to go

Yay! I've finished that Mill Hill Buttoned and Beaded kit that has been winding me up over the last week or two. There's nothing wrong with it really, it's just not my kind of thing. Unfortunately, DS wants to give it to his favourite teacher - I wanted her to get the one I still have to do!


The reason I don't like this design is that I think it's too bitty - there's no one single theme for the design. There are flowers, a rabbit, birdhouses and bird - it's just all too much crowded together for me. The design also uses speciality stitches which I think the design does not benefit from as it's so crowded. Actually, I chickened out as I couldn't be bothered with all the French knots and just added extra beads or crosses instead!

I had a few problems with all the different thread and bead colours. In fact, I still have not identified the mauve thread - I suspect I've been unable to distinguish it from the blue! The beads came mixed in two little plastic bags and I had to refer to the Mill Hill website to work out which was which as some of the colours were far too similar. A label on the bag saying which bead colours were in the bag would have been ideal.

As a reward for finishing this one, I've treated myself to a small new start which I'm hoping to finish over the weekend. After that, it's on to the final Buttoned and Beaded kit which may not be very exciting, but I like the design better than this one.

At least the end is now in sight!

6 comments:

msstitch01 said...

I've never stitched one of these yet and it looks very time consuming. Looks great.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I've never stitched one of these, I have one in my stash, but never have pulled it out. This one of yours looks gorgeous! Great Job!!

Sally said...

It looks fantastic Lesley.

DaisyGirl said...

I think it looks cute! That teacher sure is lucky to have a parent that gives handmade gifts. I did that when my boys were little, once they started high school, they don't have me do presents anymore. Almost round robin time!
Donna

Carla said...

Great job! I think the teacher will like it a lot!

Cheryl said...

Congrats on getting it finished!