Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Finishing Dilemma

I'm worried. Unnecessarily (of course). How on earth am I going to finish A Celebration of Love into a ring pillow for my sister's wedding?

I finished the stitching at the weekend so I can't avoid the finishing question for much longer.


I know I'm quite capable of making a small pillow, but I want this one to be perfect! And I want it to roughly tone in with my sister's wedding dress (light champagne taffeta overlaid with white lace).

So I'm worrying about it unnecessarily while scrabbling around trying, mainly unsuccessfully, to find some nice fabric for the pillow. And what about trims or something round the edges of the pillow? I feel in need of a bit of inspiration and not being able to find a fabric I like isn't helping!

At least I'm pleased with the stitching now. I swapped the white DMC for a white NPI silk and I think it looks much better. I like the fine braid too and the hint of sparkle that it adds.


I also bought a couple of nice lengths of ribbon the other day which will be attached in the centre of the middle heart once I can find a nice button to attach them with.

I know I'll get there in the end, I'll just worry about it along the way. That's just the way I am!


Today I'm officially 35 weeks pregnant, so I've definately lasted longer than last time. I've also cut down to only working 3 days a week which is nice and I'm starting to look forward to not working at all for several months!

19 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

It's a beauty and I'm positive you'll find something perfect to inspire you during your finishing!
Good Luck!!!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow that's gorgeous! I'd do a tie on pillow that would accent it beautifully

Cheryl said...

This is beautiful Lesley! What a stunning present it will be. Good luck with the finishing, i hope you find some fabric soon

Jennifer said...

That is an absolutely stunning piece! Your sister will be just blown away.

mainely stitching said...

Wow, the detail in this project just amazes me. It's utterly gorgeous!

Kitty said...

That is absolutely stunning. I'm sure your sister and her future husband are going to be thrilled with it.

Good luck with the pregnancy - I was wondering whether you'd 'lasted'!

Take care. x

PS: Oooh, I meant to say, another blogger found me an online place to get that Simply Knitting 'bookazine' ... it's on order. So I will definitely have a go at a gnome at some point! Thanks for letting me know the details. x

Lynn said...

that is beautiful and will be a gorgeous ring pillow when you've put it all together.

Is your sister's dress hand made? perhaps they have some spare material and lace? If not, you could put some white lace around the cushion to match the dress.

I'm sure how ever you do it, it will be treasured for ever :)

well done

Mrs Moog said...

Your embroidery is so beautiful and I'm sure it will all come together to make a gorgeous pillow and a truly precious gift!

Good luck with your pregnancy and I hope you get some time to relax before the 'event'!

xxx

Julie said...

Very pretty, i'm sure you'll come up with the perfect finish for it

Monkee Maker said...

Wow, that's beautiful! I'm sure your sis will love it however you finish it.

Enjoy your time away from work .... I'm sure you'll find loads to keep you busy - especially in a few weeks!

;)

DaisyGirl said...

Congrats on making it this far! I made it to 36 weeks with my first son! What a beautiful ring pillow that will be!
Donna

Sally said...

What a beautiful finish! Looking forward to seeing how you finish it.

Mary said...

Your stitching is gorgeous! It looks so different in white! Mine was done in black and was a fun stitch. Can't wait to see how you complete it...your sister will love it.

Kathy A. said...

That is just stunning. What a lucky sister. With the time and effort you put into this I am sure the finish will be perfect.

Sonda said...

That's really lovely. However you finish it, it will be wonderful!

Von said...

With this beautiful bit of stitching as a start, I feel sure you will come up with just the right way to finish up the pillow. I really like the idea of using extra lace and/or ribbon from any other sewing projects that may be done for the wedding.

Carla said...

This piece is gorgeous!!

Wanda said...

What a gorgeous piece I am sure however you finish it will stunning!! Can't wait to see.

Deb said...

What a beautiful stitched piece, Lesley. I love what you've already done. I'd keep it simple in finishing (except for possibly some hand-dyed ribbon edging) because too much will overwhelm the perfection and the rings. You know best...look at all the wonderful work you do!!
Love and hugs,
Deb
PS: I'm so glad you're going to off work soon!