Case in point: Linda Driskell’s Wildflower Drawn Thread Sampler.
In kitting this up, I toned down the colours for the flowers as the originals were just too bright for me. I also replaced the specified ribbon with a more readily accessible one, and in stitching, added some additional beads. (Hmm, maybe I’m better at this amendment thing than I originally thought.) However, I still made a significant mistake – the design uses white fabric and thread for the drawn thread bands. Why, oh why, didn’t I change to an off-white/ecru colour scheme? It’s what I wanted to do at the time, but that little voice at the back of my mind kept saying , oh no, the designer knows best!
Well, I enjoyed stitching the drawn thread bands in the last few weeks before Iona was born, and I do still like the design, but I do wish I’d gone with my off-white colour scheme. As such, the design remains unfinished and I don’t see myself finishing the stitching in the near future. All that white looks too cold and just puts me off!
I now have another project where the designer has given us stitchers free-er choice of the fibres to be used. Such a dilemma for me – it took me a couple of months to choose mine!
Here is my progress so far on Gay Ann Rogers’ Mystery in a Corner.
I do like the end result, although I do still doubt the distribution of my colours in the end design. I was about to change them round a bit until I read Pierrette/lovetostitch99’s blog and her account of stitching this part and thoughts on the distribution of the colours. Now I think I’ll persevere with my original choice.
So lesson to self – trust your instincts! Other stitchers, even when they are designers too, don’t know me as well as I do, and everybody (even a designer) is allowed to make a mistake once in a while!