Monday, June 30, 2008

Better late than never

I don't get it - why does Iona sleep all day in bed at the weekends when my DH and son are around, but during the week when we're alone, she sometimes (like this morning) doesn't sleep for more than 15 minutes unless she's sleeping on me? LOL I'm not complaining really, not when she's so lovely. No photos of her today, we're going to have a bit of fun with the camera later and I'll post them next time.

Given that Iona did sleep a lot yesterday, I was really pleased to get this sorted.


This is Just Nan's 4 Wishes that I finished at the start of last year. At the time I bought the frame and board for mounting, but never got very far cutting the mount/mat. I've framed my stitching in the past, but have never cut my own mount/mat before. It's not very expertly done, I'm sure the sides of the mat are a bit wiggly and perhaps I should unlace the stitching and center it better in the mat, but I'm feeling too lazy to do that right now. I'm also really really pleased with the way it looks as it is. Even my DH made unusually complimentary noises, particularly when I suggested how much it might cost to get it framed professionally! My son was also very impressed by all the leftover bits of card I gave him.

The weekend also saw me finish my part one of Gay Ann Rogers' Mystery in a Corner.


It's been a bit frustrating to stitch, but I think that's more to do with all the stop-start stitching around Iona! The next part is the real mystery, not having been published before, so I'm looking forward to getting on with it.


On the ribbon embroidery, Kitty asked if it was easy to do - I found quite easy and also very quick to do. Both were stitched on evenweave fabric, but I cheated a bit by using fairly cheap 3mm satin ribbon rather than a finer, more expensive silk ribbon. The sunflower was stitched using detached chain and straight stitches, the other one also uses spider web roses and French knots.

8 comments:

mainely stitching said...

That's some really amazing stitching!

My kids also pull tricks like that. LOL. Glad I'm not the only one! ;)

Mary said...

Your Just Nan piece is gorgeous! You would never know it has not been professionally framed. You have done an excellent job! And Mystery in a Corner is fabulous! That looks like such fun to stitch. Can't wait to see more.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I LOVE 4 Wishes and I think the framining is perfect!

Iona must just want a little more Mommy time ;)

Julie said...

4 wishes looks great, i have that in my 'to do' pile, it keeps getting put off LOL

Love your new mystery too, i'll be watching that one with interest.

Could it be that it's a lot quieter when you are home alone and she feels reassured by the noise, my son was like that.

Daffycat said...

Nice framing job! I love Just Nan and you have done well!

Charlie P said...

4 wishes looks beautiful and the framing is very well done too ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful finish and framing... the mat color is so pretty!

Ruth said...

Frustrating or not, your progress is lovely. And your framing, well, want me to send you some of mine to do? :) Congrats on a fine job!